Weekly Report 1/18
Bill Number Brief Description Any Movement This Week?
BDR 814 - Assemblyman Kramer Revises provisions governing vapor products. (Labels) The BDR has officially been withdrawn!!!!
BDR 700- Senator Ratti Revises provisions relating to taxation of certain products. Fairly certain this is the vape tax bill. She is not sharing any language or talking to us about it.
BDR 710- Assemblyman Yeager Revises provisions governing taxation. Not sure this has to do with vaping, but monitoring.
BDR 741- Senator Ratti Revises provisions relating to taxes. Another bill from Ratti dealing with taxation. Watching this one too.
32-116- Senate Committee on Revenue and Economic Development
Revises provisions relating to taxation. Not sure this has to do with vaping, but monitoring.
SB 62 Revises provisions relating to manufacturers and wholesale dealers of tobacco products. (BDR 32-424) As the bill as currently written, and with the definitions we have, this would not impact vaping. The term “other tobacco products” per NRD definition does not include vapor. However, we are still monitoring.
SB 81 Revises various provisions relating to tobacco products. (BDR 32-190) As the bill as currently written, and with the definitions we have, this would not impact vaping. The term “other tobacco products” per NRD definition does not include vapor. However, we are still monitoring.
Any other pertinent legislative hearings or announcements?
• None at this point for any of the bills we are monitoring. We attended the State of the State The new democratic governor spoke about funding education and opioid addiction, he did not talk about taxing vaping or an epidemic. This is a positive for the industry, as there has been so much noise in Nevada about taxing, banning, and youth vape addiction.
Any announcements or regulatory proposals by Governor/Executive Branch or Agencies?
• No, spoke to an individual on our new Governor’s staff. Vapor tax is not on the agenda.
Any other information?
• Senator Julia Ratti cannot meet with me until the week of the 22nd. I expect her to share the intent of the bill, but not the language, at that initial meeting.
Any model legislation, the language that VTA members have adopted as a policy.
• I would like to have the facts by district and/or region on store fronts and jobs that vape shops and the industry has created.
• The number of members within VTA and the distribution by state, company, etc.